Friday, October 3, 2008

post 2 - chapter 3 and 4

I think that men and woman do use different language while communicating. The best examples that I can think of actually come from commercials. A few years ago I remeber there was a commercial where there was a man with a bunch of his friends, and instead of saying that a clothing item was "cool" or "stylin" he said it was cute. In response all of his friends looked at him like he was crazy. The man then quickly changed his comment to something more manly. Another commercial that I stands out was a TGI Fridays commercial. Three men were eating. The first man said mm beef. The second said mmm bacon and the third said VEGETABLE MEDLEY with a sort of excitement. Again, all of the men looked at him like he was crazy.

Men are not the only people who get crazy looks while using more feminine language. I personally use this sort language role reversal for my friends entertainment. I often copy and speak like my boyfriend. People often laugh at me for trying to sound like a guy. I think that it is interesting how funny people think it is for me to speak differently.

In contrast, I do believe that men and women are more likely to use more similair language while writing. People typically do not write exactly how they speak in every day life, so if a person was to hand me some sort of text and ask me to determine the sex of the author, then it would be much more difficult. The truth is that society restrics us into two different catagories. If we do not fit in either of those catagories, then our peers may not understand us as well or begin to make judgements.

No comments: