Saturday, September 20, 2008

post 3 - chapter 9 interesting topic

One of the areas that caught my attention was the information about fallacies. I think it is interesting that so many arguments are built around fallacies, and most of the time, the public doesn't even realize it. Although fallacies don't provide hard facts, they can be used to create great emotions in the public. For this reason, fallacies are a great tool to use in persuading an audience.

When I think about fallacies, I usually think about politicians. As I read through the ten fallacies listed on page 272, each one reminded me of an approach that would be used in a campaign. In some ways fallacies help speeches buy creating emotional responses in the public. If I was to hear a speech that used "Glittering Generality", it would cause me to be more interested in the speech. Although fallacies are not strong support, they do make speeches more interesting for the public. Straight facts get boring after a while, and fallicies are a way to stir up emotions.

On the other hand, I do believe that fallicies are part of the reason why some wrong canidates are placed into positions of power. A speech with too many fallacies caused the public to be mislead. For this reason I believe that too many fallacies create bad situations. Used in moteration, I think that they can be powerful tools though!

No comments: