Saturday, September 13, 2008

One idea that really got me thinking in this chapter was the idea that communication is a game. This week I became much more aware of the next "move" I would make while communicating. I began to also notice something very interesting. Some people that I communicated with made their "move", but as I responded, they did not recive my message, and carried on about what they were saying. Other people who did recieve my message actually developed their thoughts. It was interesting because the signals that each person sent out directly effected my next move. In each group my word choice and "moves" varried, but my main objective always was to create a positive outcome for myself.

The weirdest thing was when I realized that humans learn how to do this within a split second. Most people desire acceptance from their peers, so when a friend says something to them, they understand the correct thing to say in order to obtain such acceptance. We often don't spend much time thinking about the right thing to do or say, but rather have learned how to do so over time. People who are better at the game have possibly learned how to put out more socially acceptable responses quickly. On the other hand, people who are not as good at the game, may not have learned as much.

One type of communication that I believe allows much more time to send out messages is communication through the internet. While speaking to someone online, a person is able to carefully construct the appropriate language to gain control of the game. They also have the option to delete or re-phrase their statments if they dont like how it appears before sending it. Overall, I find it very interesting that we learned how to play this game throughout our lifetime.

No comments: